- Trade names: Sassafras, Smelling Stick
- Origin: North America
- Occurence: Widely used in North America, especially from southeastern Canada in the eastern part of the US to Florida.
- Use: Preferred for outdoor purposes such as boat, ship, bridge and shipyard construction, for the interior fittings of cabinets, but also in carpentry, joinery and turnery. The wood is primarily of local importance in the USA. It has never prevailed in Europe.
- Chracter: The Sassafras is a deciduous deciduous tree and reaches a height of 2-30m, depending on the climate. It has a deeply furrowed bark, branched branches and egg-shaped leaves. The wood is light gray brown to silver brown.
- Particularities: The wood exudes a strong smell of fennel and is therefore not attacked by insects. But that is not the only reason, why the Sassafras Tree is well known. A lot of people belive in the special healing effect of his oil. He is probably the only spice tree that comes from North America, and even the Indians used him as a medicinal plant and aphrodisiac. The spirits differ on the Sassafras tree and its aromatic essential oils: some consider it a poisonous plant, others love it as a medicinal plant that even has a psychoactive effect. But no worry, on your humidor it would be look nice and wouldnt be no longer toxic.
Natural product wood
Wood is a natural product, which can has colour differences and growth-related irregularities. Deviations in structure and colour are a quality feature for real wood. Growth, colour, structure and grain are unique in every tree and make every Gerber Humidor unique!
Digital illustrations of the wood samples are always only indicative picture and do not provide a guarantee.
Not all woods are available at all times and suitable for every Gerber Humidor. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.