- Trade name: Olive, Genuine Olive
- Origin: Olivetree is one of the oldest cultigen in the world. As its cultivation had already started in prehistoric times, it is not possible any more to reconstruct the borders of its natural growing range. In principle though, the Mediterranean area can be seen as the area in question.
Range: Entire Mediterranean area. Most of the time, Olivetrees do not grow straight and are knotty. They can reach a height up to 20 m in the south, whereas they stay smaller in the northern parts.
As the main use of the Olivetree is the oil extraction, appreciation of its wood itself is totally insignificant. Consequently, usable lengths of more than 1 meter are very rarely to be found.
- Uses: Usually, the very decorative Olive wood is used for arts and crafts. In Spain and Italy, local importance for the veneer industry in lengths up to 1 m, i.e. mainly used for inlays and occasional furniture there. Veneer lengths exceeding 220 cm are extremely rare and consequently expensive. These are only used for decorative interior work.
- Character: The wood is of a yellowish basic shade and is extremely decorative due to fine dark veins spreading irregularly over the surface, thus creating a beautiful effect when larger surfaces are concerned.
- Particularities: The olivetrees takes a lot of time to grow. Their cultural history dates back to ancient times. It is used as a crop since the 4th millennium BC. In Greece, the olive branch was reserved to the honorable. Only the most famous carpenters have used the wood to make furniture.
Natural product wood
Wood is a natural product, which can has colour differences and growth-related irregularities. Deviations in structure and colour are a quality feature for real wood. Growth, colour, structure and grain are unique in every tree and make every Gerber Humidor unique!
Digital illustrations of the wood samples are always only indicative picture and do not provide a guarantee.
Not all woods are available at all times and suitable for every Gerber Humidor. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.