- Trade names: Figured Sycamore
- Origion: Europe
- Range: Nord-, Mittel- und Osteuropa bis Kaukasus, but very rarely as Figured Sycamore. High quality logs can cost more than EUR 10,000 per cubic meter. The wood fibres are wavy which gives the wood its typical pattern.
- Uses: Logs without defects are used for the production of exclusive veneers for interior decoration and musical instrument, like pianos. The rare tree structure makes it one of the most expensive woods in Europe. Despite research the exact causes for this growth are still not clarified. Researchers try to multiply the rare trees.
- Character: The color of the Figured Sycamore is almost white to light yellow and shimmers with silky shine.
- Particularities: Figured Sycamore is a popular growth variant. The wood has a very decorative structure. The wavy pattern of this special kind of woods resulting of anomalies in the growth of the tree. This is also called “Wimmerwuchs”. Why this occurs is not quite clear, but climate and location are important. For example, trees in the high mountains are more often affected than trees in the lowland. The wavy veneer pattern consists of more or less pronounced stripes, which are oriented transversely to the fiber profile. The uniformity of the strips is different from trunk to trunk.
Natural product wood
Wood is a natural product, which can has colour differences and growth-related irregularities. Deviations in structure and colour are a quality feature for real wood. Growth, colour, structure and grain are unique in every tree and make every Gerber Humidor unique!
Digital illustrations of the wood samples are always only indicative picture and do not provide a guarantee.
Not all woods are available at all times and suitable for every Gerber Humidor. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.