- Trade names: Black Cherry, American Cherry
- Origin: North America
- Occurence: Northeastern halves of Canada and USA as well as south to Florida and Texas. Cultivated to some extent in Europe. However, only the trees from the growing areas in Northeastern USA and possibly Canada are significant for veneer production. Northern Pennsylvania is best known growing region.
- Use: Very good sliced veneer for faces. As lumber it is preferred for architectural panels and furniture. Good qualities are always in demand. However, due to this heavy demand it is becoming more and more difficult to find American Black Cherry in good qualities. It is also very much sought after as lumber.
- Character: The color of the heartwood is orange-reddish to reddish-brown with a satiny finish. Unlike the European Cherry the wood darkens considerably. This is why the European Cherry is considerably more select and purer in color than the American Black Cherry. Numbering amongst the natural features of this wood are gum pockets, black gummy deposits in the annual rings (a frequently occurring feature) as well as pin knots (tight-grown, small knots). The main reason for the timber’s popularity for high-end applications, such as furniture, cabinet making, boat interiors and musical instruments, is its ease of workability and that it sands, stains and polishes to a smooth finish, highlighting its rich colouring.
- Particularities: The wood is always preferred when a piece of furniture should be characterized by balanced and solid forms. The simple-elegant and balanced wood image gives the veneer always a certain timelessness.
Natural product wood
Wood is a natural product, which can has colour differences and growth-related irregularities. Deviations in structure and colour are a quality feature for real wood. Growth, colour, structure and grain are unique in every tree and make every Gerber Humidor unique!
Digital illustrations of the wood samples are always only indicative picture and do not provide a guarantee.
Not all woods are available at all times and suitable for every Gerber Humidor. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.