- Trade name: Walnut, Black Walnut, American Black Walnut
- Origin: North America between latitude 32° and 42° north
Occurence: Best known felling areas for high quality veneer wood are the Eastern States in the USA with Delaware in the east, New York in the north, Iowa in the west and Kentucky in the south with the main centre in Ohio and Indiana. As a general rule American Walnut mostly grows in mixed forests.
- Use: Sliced veneer and lumber for architectural woodwork and high class furniture making. Due to its high strength and elasticity suitable also for production of chairs and seats. Used especially for gunstocks and aircraft propellers. Traditional wood for upright and grand piano making.
- Character: Dark brown, frequently with figuring. American Walnut is unique for “bird pecks”, fingernail size knots, which occur in the veneer as stain streaks with a small hole in the middle, which degrade the wood.
- Particularities: The American walnut is one of the most sought after tree species in the world. In terms of structure and color, the American walnut differs from the European one with its rich gray-brown color and its clearly striped or loaded structure. The sapwood is creamy white, the heartwood ranges from light to dark chocolate brown, so that there is a clear difference in color. Sometimes the wood has dark, sometimes even purple stripes. Walnut is usually straight-grained, though sometimes it also has wavy or flamed grain, creating the typical appealing wood image of walnut, which is so popular with designers. The veneer picture spreads a dignified ambience.
Natural product wood
Wood is a natural product, which can has colour differences and growth-related irregularities. Deviations in structure and colour are a quality feature for real wood. Growth, colour, structure and grain are unique in every tree and make every Gerber Humidor unique!
Digital illustrations of the wood samples are always only indicative picture and do not provide a guarantee.
Not all woods are available at all times and suitable for every Gerber Humidor. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.